Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Gulf Coast Getaway, Day 9

Memories
Monday May 31, 2010
Copyright(c) 2010, Jim Beachy

By 8:00 AM when I wonder over to Steve's house, he and Kevin have already been working for an hour on the big flower boxes. One is completely assembled.

Steve's wife appears with some snacks. "Our neighbor put up the US flag and got it right," she says. This is largely a Navy town and a Navy neighborhood, so things such as how a US flag are positioned are important. I can tell Steve is pleased with this news.

On Memorial Day, when we remember those who have fallen in the line of duty serving the United States of America, it seems especially important that a flag be displayed correctly. I think of the US flag flying on the right-side antenna of my Gold Wing, at the moment parked in Kevin's garage awaiting the trip homeward to Virginia. Long ago, before attaching it for the first time, I'd carefully researched how to position it correctly, and on which antenna with reference to the rider it should be placed. I am always happy to see my US flag fluttering in the breeze each time I glance at my right-side mirror as we ride. This is the fifth such flag I've had on my bike. Eventually, over thousands of miles, the wind and rain take their toll: The trailing edge becomes frayed and tattered, and the once-bright colors become muted and gray. When a flag is ready for retirement and replacement, I use a magic marker to write on the attachment edging some notable places it has been, and then it's carefully retired to a place of honor in my collection. This particular flag was new sometime last year and has now logged somewhere over 10,000 miles north to the Gaspe Peninsula, our northernmost ride ever, and now twice to the Gulf Coast plus various places in between. It already shows signs of wear but should travel for many more thousands of miles before retirement.

Kevin and Kristal are planning a Hawaiian-themed barbecue this evening, so we spend much of the rest of the day preparing for that. Steve has offered to mow Kevin's back lawn with his giant riding mower, which he does, and than apparently because he just can't help himself, mows the front as well!

I don't count the guests but there are probably around 25 or so with the kids. Water games have been set up for the kids, and these sometimes spill over onto the adults with or without intent. It's a nice evening to meet new friends and Kevin's neighbors. A storm threatens but it never reaches us. I learn more about the SeaBees and how, though their chain of command is through the Navy, their services are requisitioned by all branches of the US Armed Services. They are deployed all over the world in some places that would be very unexpected to civilians like me.

This evening there are three butterflies in the little butterfly habitat, leaving two cocoons still unopened. Kitty, Kristal, and several other women are planning to walk on the beach at 6:00 AM tomorrow morning. For my part, I love the beach and thanks very much but I'll see you when you get back!

No comments: