Tuesday, May 7, 2019

MACH.19 - Saguaro Country, Day 10: Apple Pie... Or Not

Saguaro Country, Day 10
Apple Pie... Or Not
Tuesday May 7, 2019

Last night after our 500 mile ride, I spent nearly an hour cleaning love bugs off the front of the bike. I think I picked up most of them in Louisiana but there must have been a good percentage of Texas bugs in there too.  These things are unbelievably hard to get off the front of a vehicle, but it's said they will damage the finish if left there because of the high acid content in their bodies. During mating season, they spend several days coupled together, even in flight.  And in spite of my efforts last night, this morning I have to spend another session removing what I didn't see or didn't remove last night.
Love bugs

We have a light day today, only about a 240 mile ride to Kerrville, TX, the gateway to the Texas Hill Country. But first, we have an alternative destination: Royer's Pie Haven in Round Top, TX. Riding south out of College Station, the horizon is as wide as Texas, flat fields as far as the eye can see, with some gas and oil apparatus.

The wildflowers in Texas are amazing, even though we've seen them often before.  The roadsides and many fields are carpeted with a dazzling array of wildflowers.  It's like nowhere else! Yellow buttercups provide the dominant color, contrasted with reddish Indian Blankets, yellow coreopsis with a mysterious rich brown center, prickly white poppy flowers that rear their heads three feet above the rest, with occasional blue and purple flowers whose names I don't know.  It's a visual feast!

Thus to Round Top, TX, home of Royer's Pie Haven.  We find a parking space (which today is not hard to do) and walk to the shop.  I'm describing the apple pie I had on my last visit to Kitty. But when we approach the place, they are closed!  Still in their winter hours, apparently.  I guess the pie will need to wait for the next time, maybe on a different day of the week.

Undaunted, we strike a hard thrust toward Kerrville, TX, which will be our staging area for our planned Hill Country riding. Texas 71 is straight and beautiful with 75 mph speed limit, and we make good time. Approaching Austin, the radar shows a small organized rain cell, and some rain droplets splattering on the windshield bear witness.  We stop for an early fuel break and wait for about 40 minutes until the cell passes to our north.

After navigating Austin's complex intersections and riding west on Route 290, I realize I've forgotten how many wineries are in that area on the edge of the Hill Country.  German influence is extremely strong in this part of Texas, from San Antonio into the Hill Country: Many of the vineyards and roads have Germanic names, and the buildings look like castles. An oenophile could spend weeks here exploring the vineyards.

Meanwhile, I'm in a perplexed state regarding my camera.  I'd stowed the camera due to the threat of rain, and we pass some excellent photography opportunities simply because it's difficult to stop the bike, open the trunk, and retrieve the camera. I've never asked Kitty to be my camera spotter, but perhaps tomorrow we could attempt that so she can shoot some pics while traveling.

At one point we see a small herd about about 30 sheep.  But this was no ordinary heard: Each one was aligned behind the next, all in single file, reminiscent of a conga line.  Both Kitty and I laughed out loud, but no camera shot because the camera was stowed.

The contact lens saga continues: My left contact lens has somehow gotten scratched, and while I could manage with this, it's annoying and near vision is compromised.  I have another set but that's my last one.  So I take out the last good one, secure the damaged one as an emergency, and once again my world is more clear.

We take advantage of our early afternoon arrival to make a small food run and to get some other supplies including another contact lens case.


We didn't make it on the right day for apple pie.  But we managed to arrive at our staging area from which to strike out for our planned Twisted Sister ride in the Texas Hill Country tomorrow.


Trailer security at YO Ranch Hotel, Kerrville, TX
I wanted to disconnect the trailer so we can ride unencumbered tomorrow, but am concerned about security.  The hotel staff were sympathetic but offered little in the way of help.  My solution was to tether the trailer to a tree in a parking space not too far from our room.  Hopefully that will keep it safe.

Tomorrow's ride awaits.  We've traveled 2,240 miles so far.


Windshield shot of roadside color

Train overpass

Indian blanket

Indian blanket en masse

Beautiful coreopsis

We came for the apple pie but they are closed



YO Ranch Hotel lobby

YO Ranch Hotel lobby
Day 10, Updates #156 - #178

Entire trip to date

No comments: